Taxseer2290 provides a very user friendly e-filing solution driven by the wizard to guide users step-by-step to complete and submit the filing. The instructions are clear on each step to provide effortless e-filing experience which can be performed by any user without any formal training. The 10 steps to complete and submit the form 2290 e-filing are as follows:
- Sign up with Taxseer2290: Create a free account on www.Taxseer2290.com by just providing your email address, name and password. It takes just less than a minute to sign up and then you are ready to start filing.
- Enter the business information: The user is required to provide the business details of the organization filing the Form 2290 or Form 8849 returns. Some of the key information regarding the business details are:
- Business type – Corporation, Estates, Partnerships, Trust and Fiduciaries, Exempt Organization, Inc, LLC, Sole Proprietorship, and Others
- Business Name & Doing Business As (DBA) name
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Business Address
- Contact Information
- Signing Authority details
- Select the form type: Select the HVUT form type that you would like to e-file:
- HVUT Form 2290 e-file
- HVUT Form 2290 Amendment
- Form 8849 – Schedule 6 (Claim credit)
- Enter the start month of filing: This is a very important information that sometimes confuses lot of users and the details provided below will help to understand the finer details:
- The HVUT tax year runs from 1st July to 30th June next year and if you are filing taxes for the whole year then select July as the start month.
- You can include all vehicles in a single Form with the same start month. If you have vehicle(s) that start operating after July then they should be clubbed into another Form 2290 Online if they have the same start month.
- Taxes are calculated based on the start month and the gross weight of the vehicle. If the start month is different than July then the system automatically prorates the tax amount accordingly and you only pay taxes for the period that you are operating the vehicle in the tax year.
- Enter Vehicle Information: Taxseer2290 very smartly handles the filing of taxable, suspended and credit vehicles in a step by step process and calculates the total taxes for the taxable vehicles and adjusts the credit amount for the credit vehicles. If the credit amount in the form 2290 is more than the tax amount owed then the system automatically files form 8849 – Schedule 6 to claim credit for the balance amount. The following sections provides more details about the criteria to categorize the vehicles into different types:
- Taxable Vehicle – If the total mileage on the vehicle is more than 5000 miles (7500 miles for agricultural vehicle) during the tax year then the filing has to be done under the taxable vehicle category. IRS categorizes the gross weight categories from 55,000 pounds to 75,000 pounds and above from category A to V and provides the tax rates for each category. If the vehicle is bought in any month other than July then the tax amount is prorated and only taxes have to be paid for the remaining period.
- Suspended Vehicle – If the total mileage on the vehicle is less than 5000 miles (7500 miles for agricultural vehicle) during the tax year then the filing has to be done under the suspended vehicle (W) category. Though there is no tax imposed on the suspended vehicle but the filing should to be performed every year.
- Credit Vehicle – If you have to report about the vehicles that are destroyed / damaged / stolen and want to claim credit for the taxes already paid for these vehicles then you can enter those vehicles under this option. You can also include vehicles for credit that were reported under taxable vehicle in the previous tax year but the mileage did not exceed beyond the 5000 miles (7500 miles for agricultural vehicles).
- Enter IRS Payment Option: While filing your truck taxes, you can select from any of the three payment options for HVUT payment:
- Direct debit from the checking/saving account: This is the most widely used payment option by HVUT filers by providing their bank checking/saving account number and the routing number. Taxseer2290 just passes the bank account information entered by the user to the IRS system. IRS payment processing system debits the tax amount from the flier’s bank account at their convenience.
The bank routing number is validated during e-filing and it is rejected if the bank routing number is incorrectly entered by the user. However, if the account# is entered incorrectly or there is insufficient fund in the bank account then IRS payment processing system fails to debit the tax amount from the bank account. IRS sends a notice along with any penalty applicable to the business address mentioned in the filing. The user can send the check to the IRS for the amount mentioned in the notice.
- Electronic federal tax payment system (EFTPS): EFTPS is a system for paying taxes electronically using the internet and this is offered free by the U.S. department of Treasury. To use the EFTPS option, the user needs to enroll by visiting the site EFTPS(eftps.gov). To log on to the EFTPS system, the enrolled user must be authenticated with three pieces of unique information: Taxpayer Identification Number (EIN or SSN), EFTPS Personal Identification Number (PIN) and a Password.
To use the EFTPS option during HVUT Form 2290 e-filing, the user just needs to select the EFTPS payment option and confirm that he will be responsible to pay timely through EFTPS account. There is no more information required to be entered on the Taxseer2290 site for EFTPS payment. The user can submit the Form 2290 e-file order on Taxseer2290 and instantly receive the Schedule 1. The user then needs to go to the www.eftps.gov site and log on to the EFTPS account and pay the HVUT tax amount. IRS system will be able to link the payment with the Form 2290 filing. Any delay in making the EFTPS payment after filing
- Check or money order: You can e-file form 2290 and send payment by check or money order. Make sure to print your completed form 2290 from the Taxseer2290 site and cut the voucher in the bottom of the document and send it to the IRS along with the signed check.
- Consent to disclosure: Provide your consent to IRS to disclose information about your payment of HVUT for the tax period to the federal Department of Transportation (DOT), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and to State Departments of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
- Third Party Designee: If you want to designate an employee of your business, a return preparer, or other third party to discuss your Form 2290 e-filing with the IRS then it can be done here. You have to provide the Name, Phone and a PIN of the designated person.
- Review the filing: We provide the summary of the filing and you have the last chance to make any changes to your filing before it is submitted for e-filing.
- Make Payment: You can make payment of our service charge through Credit Card and submit the filing. We don’t provide refund after the order is submitted and the Schedule 1 received.
- Download the Documents: The completed Form 2290 and the IRS Stamped Schedule 1 can be downloaded from the download option provided on the Taxseer2290 site. Alternatively, the Schedule 1 is emailed to the registered email address of the user.
Taxseer2290 is a leading IRS-authorized e-file service provider offering you the best cloud-based solutions to perform online filings of form 2290, form 8849 (Claim Credits for overpayments), and form 2290 Amendments. As part of our commitment to make e-filing easy and convenient, we are always available and you can contact us over the phone at 240.780.6153. You can also reach us via live chat or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.