The most common questions from the HVUT Form 2290 Online filers are about paying taxes to IRS through credit card. It is important to know that IRS doesn’t accept credit card payment during e-file. Three different options are available through which the HVUT payments can be securely made to the IRS which includes both electronic and check payments. The other question that the filers have in their mind is whether they will receive the IRS stamped proof of payment (Schedule 1) even if they select the check / money order payment option. Yes, you instantly get the schedule 1 as soon as you submit your form 2290 filing through Taxseer2290.com irrespective of the payment mode selected. However, it is your responsibility to make the check / money order / EFTPS payment immediately to avoid any late payment imposed by the IRS for the delay.
What are the HVUT Form 2290 payment options?
While filing your truck taxes, you can select from any of the three payment options for the HVUT payment:
- Electronic Funds Withdrawal (Direct debit from checking/saving account): This is the most widely used payment option by HVUT filers where payment can be made through their checking/saving bank account number. Taxseer2290 just passes the bank account information entered by the user to the IRS system. IRS payment processing system debits the tax amount from the flier’s bank account at their convenience.
The bank routing number is validated during e-filing and it is rejected if the bank routing number is incorrectly entered. However, if the account# is entered incorrectly or the bank account has insufficient fund then the IRS payment processing system fails to debit the tax amount from the given account. IRS sends a notice with the applicable penalty amount along with the pending tax amount to the business address mentioned in the e-filing. The user can send the check to the IRS for the amount mentioned in the notice.
- Electronic federal tax payment system (EFTPS): EFTPS is a system for paying taxes electronically using the internet and this is offered free by the U.S. department of Treasury. To use the EFTPS option, the user needs to enroll by visiting the EFTPS (eftps.gov) site. To log on to the EFTPS system, the enrolled user must be authenticated with three pieces of unique information: Taxpayer Identification Number (EIN or SSN), EFTPS Personal Identification Number (PIN) and a Password.
To use the EFTPS option during HVUT Form 2290 e-filing, the user just needs to select the EFTPS payment option and accept the responsibility to pay the HVUT timely through the EFTPS account. There is no more information required to be entered on the Taxseer2290 site for the EFTPS payment. The user can submit the Form 2290 e-file order on Taxseer2290 and instantly receive the IRS stamped Schedule 1. The user then needs to go to the www.eftps.gov site and log on to the EFTPS account and pay the HVUT tax amount. IRS system will be able to link the payment with the Form 2290 Filing. Any delay in making the EFTPS payment after filing will trigger the IRS notice for penalty.
- Check or money order: You can e-file form 2290 and send payment by check or money order. Make sure to print your completed form 2290 from the Taxseer2290 site and cut the voucher in the bottom of the document and send it to the IRS along with the signed check. The following needs to be performed to mail the check to IRS:
- Make your check / money order payable to the “United States Treasury”. Do not send cash.
- Write your EIN, daytime phone number, and “Form 2290” on the check / money order.
- Enclose the payment voucher 2290V that you can find at the bottom of the printed form 2290 from the Taxseer2290 site.
- Do not staple or attach your payment.
- Mail the check with voucher 2290V to the following address:
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 804525
Taxseer2290 is a leading IRS-authorized e-file service provider offering you the best cloud-based solutions to perform online filings of form 2290, form 8849 (Claim Credits for over payments), and form 2290 Amendments. As part of our commitment to make e-filing easy and convenient, we are always available and you can contact us over the phone at 240.780.6153. You can also reach us via live chat or email us at email@example.com.