Truck Taxes are complicated – mistakes sometimes happen. Fortunately, TaxSeer2290’s smart wizard-driven e-file platform takes the guesswork out of doing your truck taxes and prevents many mistakes from happening in the first place. From the experts of TaxSeer2290, here are some other mistakes to avoid so that your form 2290 online filing isn’t rejected by the IRS:
- Mistyping your email address at sign up: After your form 2290 e-filing is complete, our system will email you in minutes with your stamped Schedule 1. Make sure it arrives on time by providing the correct email address at signup.
- Selecting incorrect user type during sign up: Our platform allows for multiple account types, including individual operators or tax professionals who manage the returns of multiple clients. When signing up as a tax professional, we require additional information, including your Paid Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN).
- Business Name & EIN not matching: The Business Type, Business Name, Employer Identification Number (EIN), and the address you provide must match with the IRS’ records. If they don’t, your e-file will be rejected. In this case, the TaxSeer2290 system will notify you of the mistake. If you’re unsure of the specifics of your business information, you can call the IRS help-desk directly to verify.
- E-filing within 2 weeks of receiving a new EIN: If you’ve recently been assigned an Employer Identification Number (EIN), be sure to wait at least two weeks before you file your form 2290 online as the IRS e-file system must be updated with your new information. Any submissions done before the 2 weeks period are generally rejected. If this happens to you, TaxSeer2290 offers free refiling of your 2290 forms.
- Incorrect Filing Year: Details matter! Be sure to select either the current or previous tax year when completing your e-filing. You may also pre-file your 2290 form for the next tax year based on your expected usage and mileage.
- Incorrect Timeline: The HVUT tax year runs from July – June. Therefore, when paying HVUT taxes for one full year, you should select July as the first use month of your file. If you purchased your vehicle any time after July of that tax year, you may set your first use month to be the month of purchase. Our Taxseer2290 system will then automatically calculate taxes on the vehicle based on the first use month and weight category of your vehicle.
- Incorrect VIN: One of the most common mistakes we see is that users make typos when entering the long, complex vehicle identification number (VIN). Pay close attention during your filing to ensure no mistakes are made. However, TaxSeer2290 allows for the filing of amendments to correct these types of mistakes.
- Incorrect Weight Category: Be sure to select the correct weight category of your vehicle. If you select the wrong category, your taxes will be calculated incorrectly and an amendment will need to be filed.
- Incorrect filing type: If your vehicle traveled fewer than 5000 miles in the previous year (or 7500 miles for agricultural vehicles), it may be classified as “suspended”, saving you money. However, if you select the wrong category during filing, you’ll have to make an amendment and pay to correct the balance owed. Additionally, the IRS may levy penalties against filers for misreporting the filing type.
- Incorrect Bank Account Number: Entering an incorrect bank account# may not lead to the form 2290 online filing rejection but it will lead to IRS notice imposing penalty as the IRS efile system will not be able to debit the tax amount from the incorrect bank account# provided.
If you have any questions about these or other pitfalls, feel free to contact our TaxSeer2290 support through either live chat or email. Let us help you ensure your taxes are completed accurately and quickly. We also provide a list of FAQs at the Taxseer2290 website
Taxseer2290 is a leading IRS-authorized e-file service provider offering you the best cloud-based solutions to perform online filings of Forms 2290, 8849 (Other Credits), and 2290 Amendments. As part of our commitment to make e-filing easy and convenient, we are always available and you can contact us over the phone at 240.780.6153. You can also reach us via live chat or email us at email@example.com.